Monday, January 9, 2012

Adventures in Cross-Training

I know cross-training is a good idea. I read about it, hear about it on podcasts and see my own friends doing it, yet I rarely do any myself. One of the biggest reasons I got into running was because you only had to do one activity. I’m not a switch-machines-at-the-gym-for-two-hours kinda girl. I hate working out inside. I’d rather be shivering outside on a trail running than sweating my butt off on the treadmill watching whatever annoying program the person next to me picked out.
However, I have two issues that I need to work on that I think will need cross-training to be resolved.
1.)    I overpronate. I don’t know how to fix this other than by trying some strengthening exercises.
2.)    I want to be faster.
So I’m not going to get crazy with the cross-training. We’re talking one day a week of cycling and another day of the week where I will do strengthening moves.
Anyone find cross-training hugely helped them? What kind of exercise do you do when you’re not running?

1 comment:

  1. I replied to your comment on my blog, but not sure you'll see it. Yes, I feel the same way. They only thing I really like to do indoors is fitness classes and weight lifting. Other than that I skip the cross-training which I'm trying to change this time around. Good luck with your goals and did you do your first half yet? I just finished mine and now I'm doing another one March 3rd. I'll have to read your blog a bit and see if I can see anything about it. Just found you. Thanks for commenting btw. :)

    ReplyDelete